:: Tips for Illustrators
Starting out as an illustrator, even with four years of college behind me it felt like there was a lot I still didn’t know with how to get started. After years of trial-and-error, I’ve found (and continue to find!) my way… and wanted to share some of my experiences and tricks-of-the-trade here, for those just starting out! If there’s something you’re interested in chatting about, feel free to contact me. (This section is basically an index for my posts in the category illustration)
Quoting & Business tips for illustrators :
- • FAQS | Do you take a deposit upfront?
- • FAQS | How long does it take to get paid?
- • Increase the revenue of your illustration business
- • Quoting | How much to charge for illustrations
- • Quoting | Association of Illustrators 2007 Fees & Standard Pricing
- • Researching before you create
- • Set up an illustration business in 10 steps
- • Time Tracking your illustration projects
Marketing Tips :
- • Tips for creating a great promotional brochure
- • Christmas holiday promotional ideas
- • Cold Calling tips for illustrators
- • Greeting Card design & illustration tips
- • How to build an illustration portfolio
- • How to design business cards for illustrators
- • How to promote yourself as an illustrator
- • How to prepare samples to send to publishers
- • Marketing with Greeting Cards
- • Resume writing tips for Illustrators
Art Materials, Tips & Techniques :
- • Archiving artwork & artfiles
- • Brush Care | How to Clean Oily Paint Brushes
- • Brush Care | How to Restore Hardened Paint Brushes
- • Environmentally Friendly Art Supply List
- • Environment | Green Tips for Designers & Illustrators
- • Equipment | Make the most of your scanner with alternative uses
- • Equipment | Make Your Own Light Table
- • FAQ | How do you find an artist mentor?
- • Greeting Card Illustration & Design Tips
- • iPhoto | Digitally catalogue & tag your illustrations
- • myPantone | Creating online colour swatches collections
- • Photoshop Tutorial | Colouring Pen & Ink drawings in PS2
- • Photoshop Tutorial | Colouring pencil drawings in PS2
- • Photoshop Turotial | Colouring pencil drawings in PS2 (new example)
- • Photoshop Tutorial | How to stitch together scanned illustrations
- • Safety | Tips for handling art supplies
- • Safety | Understanding Artist Materials Toxicity labels
- • Safety | How to safely recycle diluents
Tips for Children’s Book Illustrators :
- • Eco-Libris | Offset the carbon footprint of your picturebook
- • FAQS | What size should I illustrate for children’s books?
- • FAQS | How long does it take to complete the illustrations for a children’s book?
- • FAQS | How long does it take to publish a children’s book?
- • FAQS | Can I get recognized in the industry as an illustrator and author?
- • FAQS | Can I submit my illustrations and manuscript together?
- • FAQS | How do you show glitter on your illustrations?
- • FAQS | Should I send the Publisher finished illustrations with my manuscript?
- • FAQS | Who decides on the shape of the book?
- • In The Picture | (resources on including the disabled in picturebooks)
- • How to find Children’s Book Publishers!
- • How to illustrate a children’s book
- • How to promote your children’s book through a blog
- • What to include in your children’s book illustration contract
- • Salisbury Writer’s Seminar notes on writing for picturebooks