Inspired by Dave DeVries | Ugly Mermaids

By heather at 5:59 pm on Tuesday, June 7, 2011

heather castles ugly mermaids pencil illustration ipad sketchbook pro

Lately I haven’t had much time for illustrating, as being a mum of two little kids takes up all my spare time. I’m enjoying the occasional creative outlet with drawing things for my daughter to colour… mainly her riding on dragons and dinosaurs!
hera castles drawings ugly mermaids inspirationI did manage to squeeze in this illustration… I was inspired a while back by Dave DeVries illustrations derived from his children’s artwork, and thought it would be fun to give it a go! A few months back Hera suddenly learned how to draw “people” and I ended up with a stack of paper full of families of people with arms and legs freely growing out of their heads… couldn’t let them go to waste! So I traced one, used the head shape, mouth & eyes, arms & legs as the basis for my pencil drawing “Ugly Mermaids.” I then gave it a little colour using my iPad with a Dagi Stylus and Sketchbook Pro. Hera’s original drawing is shown at left. Hope to do more of these, they were fun… am currently working on illustrating the drawing Hera drew of me having my birthday ;)

Filed under: illustrations, ipad

Comment by Ni

June 7, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

So cute! Kids are our best inspirations,aren’t they? ^______^

Comment by jen

June 8, 2011 @ 6:04 am

I love it! She really has a great composition going there! ;)

Comment by Natalie Timmons

June 9, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

A great creative result. Your version is unique and oddly appealing.

Comment by oilpaintings

June 12, 2011 @ 12:01 am

like it!

Comment by Alicia S.

June 25, 2011 @ 5:17 am

What a fun idea! I’m still so inspired by the great idea you had to illustrate your children’s outfits. I recently came across a bag of my son’s old outgrown clothes that I didn’t have the heart to let go of, (especially the outfits he wore on special days) — and I’m so excited now to copycat your idea! Even more so now that I have a little girl, too :-)

Comment by Deesh

July 6, 2011 @ 2:16 am

I love this idea of using children’s drawings..brilliant!!
I recently returned to illustration after 25 years and your website is full of great ideas and tips, just to get back on my feet .

Thanks alot :)

Pingback by blog.illustrationcastle.com » Our White Wagon

July 13, 2011 @ 1:49 am

[…] I was saying to my husband recently I wish I had more time to draw… and he suggested just setting up next to Hera on the kitchen table and drawing together, even if it’s only a few minutes. I’ve been really enjoying it, and Hera especially enjoyed drawing the same thing… I took one of her drawings of our car, made copies, and she and I both coloured it in. (Similar to what I did with Ugly Mermaids.) Was fun, looking forward to doing it again! […]