Spotty & Eddie Visit PercÚ | Off to the printer!

By heather at 1:00 am on Friday, January 15, 2010

spotty and eddie visit percÚ illustrations heather castles

Well, Spotty & Eddie have headed out for another adventure… off to Trafford to be published & printed! Was very satisfying finishing up the illustrations and layout right before the holidays, and then after having the author, friends & family put a fresh set of eyes on the book, made some minor improvements to make the book “just right” before sending it off.

I had a lot of fun working on this story… aside from drawing turtles which is so much fun, I like adding little personal touches like using my red sneakers and Hera’s top & necklace for inspiration for Trixie’s outfit. Trixie herself is inspired by a photograph of the author’s mum. I grew up watching the Ninja Turtles, so personalized the cab driver’s license plate to “TRTL PWR” for those other children of the 80’s who may read this book to children of their own.
Looking forward to seeing Spotty & Eddie’s second adventure printed and in my hands finished Here is a sneak peek at a few of the final spreads from the book (clicking on them makes them larger.)

spotty and eddie visit perce illustrations heather castles

spotty and eddie visit perce illustrations heather castles

spotty and eddie visit perce illustrations heather castles

spotty and eddie visit perce illustrations heather castles

spotty and eddie visit perce illustrations heather castles

Filed under: illustrations, childrens books, Spotty and Eddie

Comment by jen

January 15, 2010 @ 8:49 am

Beautiful, once again! I just love seeing your work. What fun you must have! I am very envious of you, my dear.

Comment by Natalie Timmons

January 15, 2010 @ 9:29 am

You must be so excited. I love the turtles and your designs are beautiful.

Comment by Beth Sissons

January 19, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

Hi Heather - I can hardly wait to see the book. Maybe the Gaspe tourist industry should thank Lisa and you for making it look so attractive! I may have to visit the Gaspe myself! Best wishes!

Comment by Sharon Clossick

January 22, 2010 @ 7:35 am

Hi Heather. I fell upon your website while searching and researching children’s publishing. I am an artist and beginning a new venture of illustrating a children’s book for publication. I have a question: I will be working in acrylic paints with pen. The size of the book possibly will be 8 1/2 by 11. I have set up my artwork at the size of 17″ x 22″ so the artwork will be read as one whole illustration as each page is turned. I hope I am clear in explaining myself. I am wondering if this is ok for submission when it comes time to print the book. Any information will be very helpful. thank you. Love your work. Sharon Clossick

Comment by Sharon Clossick

January 22, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Heather, I apologize. I need to correct myself and tell you that I am working my illustrations within the size of 17″ x 11″. Thank you. Sharon Clossick