Spotty & Eddie Learn to Compromise | Final Illustrations

By heather at 5:21 pm on Thursday, October 18, 2007

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

© Heather Castles / Lisa Chalifoux

I’ve completed the illustrations for Lisa Chalifoux’s children’s book “Spotty & Eddie Learn to Compromise.” This story was a lot of fun to illustrate… I used plain old graphite pencil on illustration board, then gave the illustrations a tint of colour in Photoshop. Also I focused on allowing more white space to give the text a lighter feel.
turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

turtles red-eared sliders illustration children's book

Filed under: illustrations, childrens books

Comment by Ayelet

October 23, 2007 @ 11:31 am

I used to raise turtles like those!! They really do like the sunny spot..

Comment by Rosemary Turpin

January 31, 2008 @ 12:38 pm

They certainly are beautiful illustrations! I particularly like the one of Eddie showing unconcealed bliss as he takes his turn on the top of the rock. Congratulations on an excellent job!
Rosemary

Comment by marlo gestole

February 2, 2008 @ 5:50 am

i’m currently owning two red-eared sliders. olivia and stuart. yes, they do love the basking spots.

great book! i wish i had a copy!

Comment by heather

February 2, 2008 @ 11:58 pm

Woops, I accidentally deleted this comment from Arian3 :
“I like your illustrations very much and I am very happy that you share with us, how you do it and what you use.
I have actually quite a particular question. What function do you use in photoshop to get this lovely washed out color effect?”

And here’s my response : The watercolour affect is really just the way I’ve shaded with the graphite pencil. There’s no shading involved at all in Photoshop… just a layer of solid colour set to “Color.” You can check out my tutorial on it here : http://blog.illustrationcastle.com/2007/05/26/step-by-step-how-to-colour-a-pencil-sketch-drawing-in-photoshop/

Comment by FabiƔn Fucci

March 25, 2008 @ 5:39 pm

Those turtles look lovely!

Comment by Azizajalal

April 27, 2010 @ 2:00 am

Tint

Pingback by Trafford Publishing Feature: Illustrator Heather Castles « The Book Hopper

June 10, 2010 @ 2:26 am

[…] Click here to view additional snapshots of the book by Heather Castles. […]

Comment by Dallas

May 25, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Nice..look at those turtles!

Comment by Houston

May 25, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Yes, I love those turtles.