I took a couple snaps today and yesterday of my work in progress for Elizabeth Austinís childrenís book, The Brotherhood of the Stinky Underpants. The finals for this are to be in oils, and I tried a different set up this time. Instead of redrawing my sketches onto the illustration board (which takes a few hours,) I made copies of my sketches, printed them out, and glued them down onto the cold press illustration board. Then I painted a coat of polyeurathane to seal them. When working with oils on paper, the oil paint can over time eat away at the illustrations, so sealing them and then painting with acrylic for the underpainting keeps the oil paint from the paper and keeps the artwork from deteriorating.
Then I’ve gone over and painted in big blocks of colour with acrylic for the underpainting… feels like a really bad colour by number! But don’t fear… the more garish & crazy it looks at this stage, the better it will look in the end!
These colours are REALLY bright right now, because when I paint over with the oils the more toned down shades, I’ll leave those bits of bright colour peaking through at parts. It’s easier to start bright and dull back, rather than the other way around. It looks a bit messy at the moment, but it will add lovely texture to the illustrations.
© Heather Castles