Date : Second Sunday in May
Publishers start thinking about designs : November
Each year, the second Sunday in May is celebrated as Mother’s Day, a holiday initiated by Anna M. Jarvis of Grafton, West Virginia in 1907 to honor her mother. Ms. Jarvis spent a good part of her life, after the death of her mother, in a crusade to have the date declared a national holiday. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a Congressional resolution declaring, “The American mother is the greatest source of the country’s strength and inspiration.”
– Greeting Card Association
- birds nest with eggs
- cute animals
- clothing accessories
- feminine themes
- mother & baby imagery
Crossover Icons : a lot of what you’d use for Easter & Valentine’s can work for Mother’s Day
Colors : soft pastels, pink, mauve, light blues & greens
Fonts : elegant, calligraphic, handwritten
- Acacia (pink): Grace.
- Allspice: Compassion.
- Amaranth: Foppery; Immortality; Pretension; Piety; Unchangeable.
- Amaryllis: Splendid Beauty; Beautiful but timid; Timid; Proud.
- Angelica: Inspiration; Magic.
- Anthriscus (Chervil): Sincerity.
- Ash: Prudence; Dignity; With me you are safe.
- Auricula (scarlet): Pride; You are proud.
- Azalea: Moderation; Forbearance; Temperance; your blush has won me.
- Bluebottle: Delicacy.
- Box: I believe in your constancy.
- CAMELIA, WHITE Loveliness
- Calla Lily: Beauty .
- Calycanthus: Benevolence.
- Camellia: My destiny is in your hands; Gratitude; Admiration; Perfection; Good Luck; Gift to a Man.
- Camellia (white): Perfected loveliness; Without blemish; Worth .
- Camellia Japonica: Surpassing excellence.
- Cattleya: Matronly grace; Mature charms.
- Centaurea: Delicacy.
- Cherry Blossom: Spiritual beauty; Good Education
- Cinquefoil: Maternal affection.
- Citron: Natural beauty.
- Cloves: Dignity; Nobility.
- Dogwood: Forgetfulness; Love undiminished by; Constancy .
- FREESIA Trust
- Gilly Flower: Bonds of affection; Lasting beauty; Thou art fair.
- Iris: Faith; Valor; A Message For Thee; Fleur de lis; Your friendship means so much to me;
- Faith; Hope; Wisdom; Valor; My compliments; Eloquence; Missive .
- Jasmine: Grace; Elegance Amiability.
- Jasmine (yellow): Grace and elegance.
- Laurus (Bay): Constant; Unchanging.
- LILY (Calla) Beauty
- Liverwort: Confidence.
- Magnolia (swamp): Perseverance .
- Mallow: Mildness; Gentleness .
- Milk vetch: Your presence softens my pain; Comfort.
- Mimosa: Exquisite; Fastidious; Perception .
- Mint: Strength; Virility; Warmth of feeling; Let us be friends again; Virtue; Purity .
- Moss: Maternal Love; Charity; Patience; Pray wait; Ennui (boredom).
- Mulberry (white): Wisdom.
- Myrtle (wax): Discipline; Instruction.
- Pear Blossom: Tenderness; Not altogether lovely .
- Pear: Affection.
- Pine: Pity; Compassion .
- Pomegranate Blossom: Grace; Mature elegance; Perfection
- Queen Anne’s Lace: Steadfast love.
- Sage: Domestic duties; Sage Cherish.
- Salvia (Sage): Esteem; Domestic virtue; Long life; Wisdom.
- Salvia (blue): Wisdom.
- Saxifrage: Affection; Tenderness.
- Thyme: Courage; Activity; Grace; Elegance; Domestic virtues; Thriftiness; I am diligent; Liveliness.