Date : North America June 18th
Publishers start thinking about designs : December
Mrs. John Bruce Dodd of Spokane, Washington was the founder of Fatherís Day in 1910. She was one of six brothers and sisters raised by their father, William Smart, a following their motherís death. Mrs. Dodd organized the first Fatherís Day celebration, held in Seattle, and pushed for broader observance of the holiday. In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge recommended that Fatherís Day be observed throughout the nation as a holiday.
Ė Greeting Card Association
- *intimate cards, those sent from wife / girlfriend, should look slightly feminine
- lighthouses (passe)
Colors : green, blue, purple, earth tones, sepia
Fonts : avoid too legal looking fonts, can be earthy, masculine
- Allspice: Compassion.
- Amaranth: Foppery; Immortality; Pretension; Piety; Unchangeable.
- Angelica: Inspiration; Magic.
- Anthriscus (Chervil): Sincerity.
- Ash: Prudence; Dignity; With me you are safe.
- Auricula (scarlet): Pride; You are proud.
- Azalea: Moderation; Forbearance; Temperance; your blush has won me.
- Bayberry: Discipline; instruction.
- Beech: Affluence .
- Bellflower: Constancy; Gratitude; I wish to speak to you.
- Box: I believe in your constancy.
- Cactus: Grandeur; Warmth; Affection .
- Calycanthus: Benevolence.
- Camellia: My destiny is in your hands; Gratitude; Admiration; Perfection; Good Luck; Gift to a Man.
- Camellia (white): Perfected loveliness; Without blemish; Worth .
- Camellia Japonica: Surpassing excellence.
- Cedar: Strength; I live but for thee; Think of me.
- Chestnut Blossom: Do me justice.
- Chestnut: Affluence.
- Chicory: Frugality.
- Cloves: Dignity; Nobility.
- Dogwood: Forgetfulness; Love undiminished by; Constancy .
- Endive: Frugality.
- Fennel: Strength; Courage; Worthy of praise; Hardness .
- FERN Confidence and Shelter
- Fir: Time.
- Foxtail Grass: Sporting.
- FREESIA Trust
- Iris: Faith; Valor; A Message For Thee; Fleur de lis; Your friendship means so much to me; Faith; Hope; Wisdom; Valor; My compliments; Eloquence; Missive .
- Laurus (Bay): Constant; Unchanging.
- Liverwort: Confidence.
- Magnolia (swamp): Perseverance .
- Milk vetch: Your presence softens my pain; Comfort.
- Mimosa: Exquisite; Fastidious; Perception .
- Mint: Strength; Virility; Warmth of feeling; Let us be friends again; Virtue; Purity .
- Mulberry (white): Wisdom.
- Myrtle (wax): Discipline; Instruction.
- Nasturtium: Conquest; Victory in Battle; Patriotism; Affectation.
- Oak: Hospitality.
- Oak Leaf: Courage; I will endure.
- Pear Blossom: Tenderness; Not altogether lovely .
- Pear: Affection.
- Pine: Pity; Compassion .
- Sage: Domestic duties; Sage Cherish.
- Salvia (Sage): Esteem; Domestic virtue; Long life; Wisdom.
- Salvia (blue): Wisdom.
- Saxifrage: Affection; Tenderness.
- Thyme: Courage; Activity; Grace; Elegance; Domestic virtues; Thriftiness; I am diligent; Liveliness.